Being in the spotlight doesn’t always mean that you’re a perfect individual with luscious locks, a perfect body, and pouty lips. Celebrities are very much human and go through the same changes as we do. We’re here to spill the beans on female celebrity hair loss. And we’re here to tell you that you’re not alone!
In this article we are about to uncover which H-town celebrities came forward and addressed their battles with hairloss.
What are the Causes?
The most common form of hair loss in women is female pattern hair loss. Which is characterized by a gradual thinning of the hair on the scalp. Other types of hair loss that can affect women include telogen effluvium. Which is temporary hair shedding that can be caused by stress, illness, or medication. Hair loss can also be caused by Alopecia areata. Which is an autoimmune condition that can cause patchy hair loss on the scalp. And other parts of the body.
In women, hair loss can be caused by a variety of factors. Including genetics, hormonal changes, stress, certain medications, and medical conditions.
Hair loss in women can have several causes, including:
Female pattern hair loss is also known as androgenetic alopecia. It is the most common type of hair loss in women. It is caused by genetic factors and results in a gradual thinning of the hair on the top of the head.
- Hormonal changes
Hormonal changes due to menopause, pregnancy, childbirth, or the use of hormonal birth control. Can cause temporary or permanent hair loss.
- Medical conditions
Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), And autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss.
Some medications such as chemotherapy drugs can cause excessive hair loss.
blood thinners and antidepressants can cause hair loss as a side effect.
- Nutritional deficiencies
Lack of nutrients such as iron, vitamin D, and biotin can cause hair loss.
- Hairstyles and hair treatments
Tight hairstyles such as braids, weaves, and ponytails can also lead to hair loss. As well as hair treatments such as bleaching, coloring, and straightening. These factors can cause hair loss due to hair follicle damage.
Female Celebrity Hair loss and the Stigma that surrounds it
It takes a lot for anyone to talk about their insecurities. Thankfully we now have famous female celebrities who have opened up about their hair loss stories. And brought them to the public’s attention.
Hair loss is a common condition that can affect anyone. Including celebrities. There are many reasons why someone might experience hair loss. Which is related to genetics, hormonal changes, stress, certain medications, and medical conditions.
If you are experiencing hair loss, it’s important to speak with a healthcare professional. For proper evaluation and treatment options.
Celebrities that went through Hair loss
1- Jada Pinkett Smith
Jada Pinkett Smith has been open about her struggles with hair loss in the past. In an episode of her Facebook Watch series, Red Table Talk, she discussed her hair loss journey. And revealed that she had been experiencing hair loss due to alopecia. Which is an autoimmune condition that can cause hair loss on the scalp and other parts of the body.
She shared that she had been wearing turbans and headwraps to cover up her hair loss. And that she had also tried various treatments and therapies. To address the condition. It’s important to note that hair loss can be a sensitive and personal issue. and it’s important to respect an individual’s privacy. And not speculate on their personal health or appearance.
Kudos to her for coming forward and comforting us!
2- Viola Davis
Viola Davis has been open about her struggles with hair loss. and the challenges she has faced as a Black woman in Hollywood who chooses to wear her hair naturally. She has spoken about the impact of hair weaves and extensions on her hairline and scalp health. As well as the pressure to conform to Eurocentric beauty standards in the industry. In an interview with Vulture in 2018, she shared that she had been wearing wigs. Mainly to protect her hair and allow it to grow back.
We love you regardless!
3- Keira Knightley
Keira Knightley has been open about her struggles with hair loss and how it has affected her career. In an interview with InStyle UK in 2018, she shared that she had experienced hair loss. Due to years of dyeing and styling her hair for movie roles. She also revealed that she had been wearing wigs to cover up the hair loss and allow her hair to grow back.
4- ZaraLena Jackson
ZaraLena Jackson, a protagonist of Ex On the Beach, also has alopecia universalis.
The news of alopecia has been difficult for ZaraLena. Who calls it “devastating” and “distressing.” She is now accepting her new appearance. And documenting her experience on social media. She declared, “I am bald, and bald is lovely,” in an interview with Radio 1.
Life is far too brief to stress over hair!
5- Kayla Itsines
Fitness expert Kayla Itsines opened up about her own hair loss struggles. She went through female pattern hair loss on Instagram. Despite being in her early 30s, she is already noticing hair thinning because it occurs in her family.
Kayla has long hair. That she wears extensions and hairpieces to give her that distinctive appearance. If you use this method, keep in mind that tight ponytails can exacerbate hair loss. Instead, try loose hairstyles to cover thinning hair.
6- Lea Michele
Glee actress Lea Michele shared her experiences with hair loss. After pregnancy and the birth of her first kid, on Instagram.
Due to the hormonal whirlwind that occurs during and after pregnancy. Postpartum hair loss is very prevalent. However, it can be challenging to manage, so it’s critical to consume well and take good care of your hair at this time.
7- Christina Milian
Christina Milian shed heavily after giving birth to her second kid, just like Lea did. “There were times when I wished to cry because I didn’t know when my hair would grow back.”
Thankfully, postmenopausal hair loss is frequently transient. You’ll notice your hair beginning to come back. Once your hormones have stabilized, just like Christina did.
Celebrities Who did not Hold Back Their Confidence amid Battle with Alopecia
There are several celebrities who have alopecia, a condition that causes hair loss. Some of them include:
- Tyra Banks – The supermodel and television personality has been open about her experience with alopecia and has shown her bald head on social media.
- Viola Davis – The award-winning actress has spoken publicly about her alopecia, which she developed at a young age.
- Ricki Lake – The actress and television host has struggled with hair loss due to alopecia and has been an advocate for others with the condition.
- Naomi Osaka – The tennis superstar has alopecia and has spoken about how it has affected her confidence on and off the court.
- Jada Pinkett Smith – The actress and talk show host has revealed that she has alopecia and has shared her journey with hair loss on her show, “Red Table Talk.”
- Kellie Pickler – The country singer and former “American Idol” contestant has alopecia and has shaved her head in support of others with the condition.
- Anthony Carrigan – The actor, known for his role on HBO’s “Barry,” has alopecia and has spoken about how it has influenced his acting career and personal life.
- Gail Porter – The British television presenter has alopecia and has been an advocate for greater understanding and acceptance of the condition.
These celebrities, among others, have been open about their experiences with alopecia, helping to raise awareness and promote acceptance of the condition.
How do They Deal with Hair loss?
Celebrities who deal with hair loss due to alopecia may handle the condition in different ways. Here are some of the ways that they may deal with hair loss:
- Wigs and hairpieces – Many celebrities who experience hair loss due to alopecia may use wigs, hairpieces or extensions to achieve their desired look. They may work with stylists to create natural-looking hairpieces that match their natural hair.
- Shaving their head – Some celebrities may choose to shave their head completely to embrace their baldness and create a bold and empowering look.
- Medication and treatment – Some celebrities may seek medical treatment or use medication to help manage their hair loss. This may include topical treatments or medications that help stimulate hair growth.
- Being open and honest – Many celebrities may choose to be open and honest about their experience with hair loss, using their platform to raise awareness about alopecia and promote acceptance and understanding of the condition.
Overall, how a celebrity deals with hair loss due to alopecia is a personal decision and can vary widely depending on their individual circumstances and preferences.
The bottom line
In order to address their receding hairlines, dozens of celebs have been transparent about their hair transplant procedures. You should feel confident in whatever your body has to offer. Embrace yourself and stay positive!
Love your body because it’s all you got!